Sugar Powder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugar Powder

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Am I the only one or...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Namklim

Am I the only one or... Empty
PostSubject: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Have any of you ever played D&D (or something like it)?
Back to top Go down
etewxok

etewxok

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 10:58 am

What's D&D? Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://lallanda.myminicity.com/
saku_no_haruka

saku_no_haruka

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 4:24 pm

I've been wondering that too^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.xanga/sakuradan/
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:22 am

etewxok wrote:
What's D&D? Neutral

Dungeons and Dragons...

Is it not commonly known as that?
Back to top Go down
etewxok

etewxok

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 10:36 am

Oh! I've heard of it now! Is it fun?
Back to top Go down
sootyxsnowpetal

sootyxsnowpetal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 12:46 pm

I must live under a rock or something because I have no idea what that is. Still.

Explain please?
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 12:03 am

D&D is a (I thought) popular d20 game. d20 games are games that use polygonal dice. For instance, the "d6" is the most common die known, it's the one that goes from 1 to 6 and comes with almost every board game in existance. d20 games use d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and a d20. Thus, this allows to roll a number between 1 and 4, 1 and 6, etc. Oh, there are usually two d10s so that you can roll between 1 and 100 (one of the d10s counts by 10 instead of 1, thus it has 10, 20, 30 instead of 1, 2, 3).

D&D is typically in a fantasy setting (like Lord of the Rings) where players make a character and go on adventures. One person has to play the DM (Dungeon Master) in order for there to be a story. DMs rarely make characters, as their character wouldn't be able to interract much with the rest (already knowing what needs to be done is kinda cheap). Players pick a race (Elf, Human, Dwarf, among others) and a class (Cleric, Fighter, Wizard are just a few).

Making a character can take a long time, but if you are playing with friends, it's well worth it. Because of how D&D is set up, you aren't limited in your choices of how to proceed in any given adventure. You can be evil or good, or anywhere in between (though it is rare for evil and good characters to party together). You can pick from a large variety of skills and feats. Casters get a variety of spells to choose from. You also get to make the backstory to your character and his reasons for traveling.

In short, D&D is like the basis for most RPGs that you see out today. Also, there are books out that take place in some of the campaign settings (basically worlds created around the core books of D&D, with some additions). One of the more popular characters is Drizz't Do'Urden, who's story is told over several books, each over 500 pages long.

Ok, so that was a long description, but I think I got the idea out there.
Back to top Go down
etewxok

etewxok

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 11:39 am

Sounds like fun! I love RPGs.
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 5:54 pm

etewxok wrote:
Sounds like fun! I love RPGs.

Yeah, it is. Especially since you can play however you like (with exception to some classes, which are restricted to certain alignments). The alignments are based off of 2 axis: the good - evil axis, and the lawful - chaotic axis. Though I hear in the latest version, they have been reduced in some way. The latest version is 4.0, which basically comes out this month, but all the campaigns I'm doing right now are 3.5.

When you get together with friends, especially crazy ones, it becomes even more interesting. In one of my previous ones, one of my friends played a Dwarf Wizard (an unusual class for the Dwarf race). As a Wizard, he picked a Raven for his familiar, and had it speak Spanish, a language no one knew. He proceeds to offer as little help as possible while still doing something in combat. One round went like this:
Dwarf - "Magic Missile would hit it right?" (In reference to several kobolds in combat with our melee characters)
DM - "Yes, Magic Missile can not miss."
Dwarf - "I fire my heavy crossbow."
DM - "... wait, you'll have a chance to hit your allies."
Dwarf - "I know. I fire my heavy crossbow."
DM - "All right, roll."
Dwarf - "I got a 5."
DM rolls a die.
DM - "You hit Zumawamu (one of our druids) in the back, roll damage."
Dwarf - "Yes!"

The heavy crossbow hurts a lot... in a previous battle, he was hitting kobolds that were behind tables.
Back to top Go down
sootyxsnowpetal

sootyxsnowpetal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 7:07 pm

WOW. I just noticed, this is the most you've ever typed... ever. You must really like this game. (although I still really haven't heard of it and neither have my friends. I'm not the only one living under a rock then, or we're really not the RPG types -____-)
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 5:04 am

sootyxsnowpetal wrote:
WOW. I just noticed, this is the most you've ever typed... ever. You must really like this game. (although I still really haven't heard of it and neither have my friends. I'm not the only one living under a rock then, or we're really not the RPG types -____-)

Well, D&D isn't heavily advertised, so that may be why you have not heard of it. I personally do really enjoy it, but part of the reason for typing so much is that it is a massive game. I hear that it was made less difficult to make characters in the 4th edition (comes out this month), but once you know how to do it, it isn't that difficult.

D&D is done by Wizards of the Coast, but if you can't find any of their stores, or anything else that sells their works, then I'd suggest looking for torrents and whatnot.

http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm
This site has a lot about 3.5 D&D (the version I'm currently playing). It is mostly summaries and assumes you know something about D&D, so it isn't beginner friendly, but it does give you an idea about what goes into character making. The only downside to fully customizable characters is that they can take a long time to make, especially if you don't know what you want.
Back to top Go down
saku_no_haruka

saku_no_haruka

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 3:37 pm

looks fun^^
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 7:17 pm

It is, just gotta find people who are up for it... and preferably one who can write a good story. Otherwise you'll have to look up campaigns.
Back to top Go down
saku_no_haruka

saku_no_haruka

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 am

Well...I don'T think I'm up to it^^
I don'T really understand what's the point of this game^^
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 4:14 am

saku_no_haruka wrote:

As in the purpose of playing, or what you are trying to accomplish?

The purpose of playing is generally to have fun. To take on a character in a fictitious world and whatnot. You can be a variety of different things: an Elvan Wizard who has a great deal of intelligence, a Dwarven Fighter who can hold his own in combat and drinking contests, a Human Rogue who comes off as a charismatic gentleman, only to latter find he has your wallet.

What you are trying to accomplish is whatever you or the DM has planned. Normally the DM sets up a story that serves as the main purpose for why the players are gathered. It could be anything: exploring new lands or ancient ruins, or investigating unusual situations. It is also possibly to make a primary concern for you character: searching for a family member, looking for some ancient artifact, etc.
Back to top Go down
saku_no_haruka

saku_no_haruka

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 1:39 pm

Namklim wrote:
saku_no_haruka wrote:

As in the purpose of playing, or what you are trying to accomplish?

The purpose of playing is generally to have fun. To take on a character in a fictitious world and whatnot. You can be a variety of different things: an Elvan Wizard who has a great deal of intelligence, a Dwarven Fighter who can hold his own in combat and drinking contests, a Human Rogue who comes off as a charismatic gentleman, only to latter find he has your wallet.

What you are trying to accomplish is whatever you or the DM has planned. Normally the DM sets up a story that serves as the main purpose for why the players are gathered. It could be anything: exploring new lands or ancient ruins, or investigating unusual situations. It is also possibly to make a primary concern for you character: searching for a family member, looking for some ancient artifact, etc.
Now I get it^^
Thanx for explaining^^
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 pm

No problem. D&D is something I've found to be rather fun to do with people.
Back to top Go down
saku_no_haruka

saku_no_haruka

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Namklim wrote:
No problem. D&D is something I've found to be rather fun to do with people.
Well,hope you get a lot of people to ^play with^^
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 5:54 am

My current group has quite a few. 6 in all - 1 being a DM and the rest are players. The only problem with lots of people is that it becomes difficult to maintain order. It's still quite a bit of fun though. ^ ^
Back to top Go down
saku_no_haruka

saku_no_haruka

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 11:02 am

Namklim wrote:
My current group has quite a few. 6 in all - 1 being a DM and the rest are players. The only problem with lots of people is that it becomes difficult to maintain order. It's still quite a bit of fun though. ^ ^
6 that's not bad^^
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 6:09 pm

6 is perfect for our DM actually. We managed to get through things pretty quickly with that number.

Oh yeah, 4.0 rule books were released recently. They changed A LOT of things. I went over them a little yesterday, and many things were no longer as I knew them. They tried to make it easier for people to begin playing the game, so they took alot of things out and altered how others are done. So now I need to read up on everything.
Back to top Go down
sootyxsnowpetal

sootyxsnowpetal

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Are you saying that it's a good thing or a bad thing? O.O?
Back to top Go down
Namklim

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 4:50 pm

sootyxsnowpetal wrote:
Are you saying that it's a good thing or a bad thing? O.O?

I... don't know...

They basically completely redid everything. The removed some of the core classes: Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Monk, and Sorcerer, and they removed Gnome from the Player's Handbook. They added some new races and classes in the core books though. Races also only have positive modifiers to stats, unlike in 3rd edition. Paladin no longer has to be lawful good alignment, in fact, there are only 5 alignments now, instead of 9. They completely changed how characters progress as they level. There are a lot more fixed numbers than there use to be. The spell system was completely altered. Really, what they have done is made a new game. I don't know D&D before 3.0, so I can't say what it use to be like, but I know this new 4th edition is very different than 3rd. It looks like it would be fun to play though, just I'll need to relearn everything. Kinda funny though, it was made to be easier for new players, but old players need to relearn what each class and race has.

EDIT: Forgot to put that Druid was removed from Player's Handbook as well.
They are suppose to release those 5 in later books.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one or...   Am I the only one or... Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I the only one or...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sugar Powder  :: General Board :: General Board and Spamming Central!-
Jump to: